Here is a summary of the History of Schols in Deddington. You can download a copy of the full history document at the bottom of this page.
The first mention found of a school in Deddington is contained in a Chantry Certificate of 1547 which refers to ‘The late guild of the Trinity in the parish church of Dadyngton
In 1852 a site on the Banbury Road (where the present Primary School stands) was given to the village by W.C. Cartwright of Aynho, Lord of one of the three Manors of Deddington.
In 1875 a separate infants section was established, which was moved in 1908 into the former girls’ school.
In 1950 a new Secondary Modern School opened on the former Windmill site on the Hempton Road, the older children moved over and the school on the Banbury Road became a Church Primary School. The Windmill School had approximately 240–250 pupils, including children from the neighbouring villages of Steeple Aston, Milton and Adderbury, and George Wing now became Headmaster here.
In 1952 an appeal, entitled Deddington Church Schools, 1550–1950, was published in the village asking for £9,500 to bring the Primary School buildings up to the modern standards required under the 1944 Education Act.
In September 1971 The Warriner Comprehensive School opened in Bloxham taking all the children from the old Windmill School, some of the buildings there being used for heavy craft and domestic science for a short time. Once again George Wing moved to become Headmaster of the Warriner, retiring in 1973 after 52 years with the School.
The Deddington C. of E. Primary School has flourished over the succeeding years with more alterations and extensions taking place. There are now 196 pupils and 30 staff, a Board of 14 Governors, an enthusiastic Parent/Teacher Association and the school is an integral and important part of the village.
In 2012 we celebrate our 160 year anniversary where the School site was given to us.