SEND Information for Parents

What is 'Special Educational Needs?
Who is in charge of SEN at school?
How do I know if my child has SEND, how is it identified?
What happens if my child is not making the same progress as other children?
My child has SEND, what provision do you offer?
What specific resources does your school offer?
What specialist support do you offer?
How do you make sure your provision is as good as it can be?
How can I support my child?
Who do I talk to if I am worried about my child or the provision offered?
What happens when my child moves year group or leaves your school?
What is an ‘Education, Health and Care Plan’?

What is 'Special Educational Needs'?

A child or young person has a special educational need if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child or young person is considered to have a learning difficulty or disability if they:

  • Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age or
  • Have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age  
    (Code of Practice 2014)
>Back to Top

Who is in charge of SEND in your school?

Teachers are responsible for the progress that all children make in their class. All members of staff contribute to identifying SEND and supporting those with SEND. The SENCo, Mrs Sue Lenihan, has the responsibility of the day to day management of SEND. The SENCo assists class teachers and parents in developing inclusive practice, designing further adaptations and accessing specialist resources if they are needed.  The school also has a Link Governor, Mrs Anne Hunsley, who has responsibility for SEND. 

>Back to Top

How do I know if my child has SEND, how is it identified?

Identifying SEND needs early is crucial and parents know their children best so we have regular meetings with parents and rely on the information they provide us in helping us to identify if a child or young person has SEND. In our school we believe that inclusive teaching is the first step in responding to any possible special educational need and we carry out checks on teaching to make sure that practice is inclusive. The SENCo, as part of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), meets with the Head Teacher and each class teacher on a termly basis to review learning progress data for all children in the class (Class Review). During these reviews the possibility of a child having SEND is discussed and further checks are carried out, for example, detailed lesson observations by the SENCo and a review of interventions the child has been part of so far. We will also consider whether a further, more specialist, assessment for SEND is needed for example from another service provider, eg from Health.

>Back to Top

What happens if my child is not making the same progress as other children?

If a child is falling behind, or not responding to inclusive teaching, we will bring together all the information we have about the child’s needs and difficulties and share this with parents. The school uses Oxfordshire County Council’s ‘Identifying and Supporting Educational Needs’ handbook (2014) is a way of identifying if there is a SEND and what levels of support should be offered. The handbook helps us to make sure we are offering the provision expected from all schools in Oxfordshire. There are four broad areas of SEND:

  • Communication and Interaction Needs
  • Cognition and Learning Needs
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs
  • Sensory and/or physical needs

Following further consultation with parents, and if a child meets the descriptor in the handbook, and after all the checks on teaching and learning have been carried out, then the child will be placed on the schools SEND register. This is shared with the local authority. 

>Back to Top

My child has SEND, what provision do you offer?

For pupils with SEND the school offers a ‘graduated’ approach; from a little support to a lot. Once a child is placed on the register then appropriate plans are put in place to support them. All children are unique, regardless of the category of SEND they have, so it is important that we respond to their individual need. Some children will respond well to seemingly minor adaptations to our inclusive teaching offer, others will need more specialist support and input. We work closely with outside agencies to help us to design the most appropriate package of support for children on our register. Adaptations can include;

  • Use of individual, pair or small group teaching
  • Individualised or small group interventions for specific skills and learning needs
  • Visual aids and multisensory resources to support understanding and participation
  • Adaptations to the physical environment to help with accessing learning
>Back to Top

What specific resources does your school offer?

A range of support is available, here are some examples:


Cognition and Learning


  • Reading Recovery Programme-the SENCo is an Institute of Education accredited teacher
  • Read, Write Inc Phonics-individual and small group
  • Precision Teaching-individual
  • Launch into Reading Success-small group phonological awareness
  • Write from the Start-individual fine motor
  • Handwriting without Tears-individual handwriting
  • Rapid Reading-individual reading support ICT based
  • Pre-Teaching Vocabulary-individual vocabulary, speaking and listening focus


  • First Class at Number-individual and small group
  • Springboard Maths-small group programme
  • GAP Maths-individual concept development
  • Numicon-individual and small group place value and concept development

Social, Emotional and Mental health

SEAL-small group support

  • Therapeutic Stories-Individual and small group, dealing with anxieties
  • Walk and Talk-Individual nurture work with key worker
  • Meet and Greet-individual, for when coming to school is hard
  • Home to School link Worker-support for parenting and dealing with challenging behaviour
  • Stop, Think and Do-a programme designed to help children regulate their feelings and behaviour responses

Communication and Interaction

  • Visual Support- timetables and ‘now and next’ cards to help structure the day
  • Photo books-to help plan for change and transition times
  • Pre-Teach-to reduce anxiety in new situations or teach vocabulary to aid participation
  • Social Stories-individually written personalised stories to help social understanding and eliminate unwanted behaviour.

Sensory and Physical

  • Medical room with shower facilities
  • Alternatives to written formats-ICT and Scribe
  • Keyworkers-individual support for pupils with complex medical needs, appropriate training is given based on need
>Back to Top

What specialist support do you offer?

A qualified SENCo who is also a certified Reading Recovery Teacher and has particular experience with Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Dyslexia.

A team of teachers and teaching assistants, many have specific areas of expertise and with further qualifications. A number of staff with direct specialist experience of SEND. The school also has access to external specialist support services;

  • Educational Psychology-Mr Mark Corness
  • Language and Communication Advisory Support
  • Special Educational Needs Support Service (SENSS); Physical Disability Team, Visual, Hearing Impairment Team, Communication and Interaction Team
  • School Health Nurse
  • SEN ICT and Augmentative and Alternative Communication Team
  • PCAMHs consultation and referral
  • Early Intervention Hub
  • Strong links with ‘The Warriner SENCo Network’ and Swalcliffe Park School (residential school for boys with Autistic Spectrum Conditions)

Further services can be accessed through Oxfordshire County Council’s Local Offer, accessible to parents via the website. 

>Back to Top

How do you make sure your provision is as good as it can be?

We monitor our provision through reviews with parents, data analysis, work scrutiny and lesson observations. We often buy in consultants and outside agencies to help us do this. We monitor pupil progress through Class Reviews and review the success of interventions and provision maps.  The school is committed to providing high quality professional development for staff and this is the best way of making sure our teachers can offer inclusive practice. We access a lot of our training through the Inclusion Development Programmes and through The Warriner Partnership Training Programme. 

>Back to Top

How can I support my Child?

There are lots of ways you can help. The best way to help is to talk to the teachers and ask questions if you have them. Don’t be afraid to share information that might be useful to the school, for example, share any worries your child may have. If you need to, ask your child’s teacher for their advice and support, they can arm you with lots of ideas and tips. It helps if your child comes to school ready to face the day, and if you have concerns be quick to bring them to the schools attention, that way they can be dealt with more swiftly. 

>Back to Top

Who can support me with my child's SEND?

Having a child with SEND can be worrying and exhausting and the school recognises this and we want to help parents by working closely together. We have a Home School Link Worker, who can offer further support. We also access to other specialists. There are also lots of local and national support groups listed  under ‘Useful Contacts’ who have parent groups and networks and lots of useful tips. The SENCo is always happy to talk to you to help you identify which direction to go in to access more help.

>Back to Top

Who do I talk to if I am worried about my child or the provision offered?

A parents first point of contact is always the class teacher, most concerns are easily addressed this way. If you would prefer to you can talk to the SENCo or the Head Teacher. The school encourages parents to share their concerns quickly. If you need more support in meetings at school we can put you in touch with the Parent Partnership who are happy to help. 

>Back to Top

What happens when my child moves year group or leaves your school?

We offer extra transition visits to help children cope with changes like moving class or school. Children spend time in new classes before the end of the year and we can provide photo books to help them get to know new staff or new rooms. We have strong links with The Warriner and have well established transfer arrangements for secondary. Where parents choose a different secondary school we can still arrange additional visits for pupils. 

>Back to Top

What is an ‘Education, Health and Care Plan’?

Statements of Special Educational Needs are being replaced by Education, Health and Care plans (EHC) for children and young people with the most complex needs from September 2014. The creation and delivery of these plans will be led by the local authority with schools developing and reviewing these with parents. Children with existing statements will transfer to the new system within three years through a ‘transition review’ such as at the end of Year 6 ready for secondary school. Any child with a statement in year 6 in September 2014 will transfer to an EHC plan in that year. 

>Back to Top
Print Print | Sitemap
© Deddington C of E Primary School